A simple Thai Dessert which is not difficult for people who want to try making at the first time. This is a dessert dish which I made quite often for my family and everyone love it! You don't have to make the thing so complicated just leave it as easy and no need to follow exactly quantity of the ingredients. Follow your taste is the best result...
TUB TIM KROB (Water Chestnuts in coconut milk)
Water Chestnuts 300-400 g.
Hale's Blue Boy Red Sala Syrup
*can be substituted with food colouring+water
Tapioca flour 2 cups
Sugar 1 cup
Water (1) 1-1 1/2 cup
Coconut milk 1 box (small size)
Water (2) 1/2 cup
Salt 1/4 tsp
Pandan leaves 8
1. Wash water chestnuts till the skin all clean then peel off the skin and cut into 4 pieces/each (if the water chestnut is in big size, you can cut into 6 pieces)
2. Pour Hale's Blue Boy Red Sala Syrup (or mix water with food coulouring in red-it should be concentrate) into the bowl and put all water chestnuts which have been cut into the the syrup. Use the spoon to mix gently to let the syrup covers all water chestnuts. Leave them to absorb the colour for 1 hour.
3. Strain away the red syrup and leave the water chestnut to run out of liquid for 20 mins.
4. Mix the water (1) and sugar in medium saucepan and add 5 pandan leaves (you can tight them up together with white cotton rope), put over medium heat and stir occasionally till get the clear syrup. Leave it cool.
5. Pour tapioca flour on the tray or big plate and spread the flour nicely then sprinkle the water chestnut (around 1 handful) to the flour surface and sprinkle flour and press it to cover all over water chestnuts.
6. Take out the water chestnuts from the tray and place in the clean plate. Continue the 5th method till finish up the water chestnuts.
7. In medium saucepan, pour the water 3/4 and bring to boil then add water chestnuts with flour covered, stir not to make the water chestnut stick to each other. Once the water chestnut is floating to the surface, use the the strainer ladle takes out and put them into the syrup. Stir continuously just to make them not stick together and set aside.
8. Pour the coconut milk and add 3 pandan leaves (you can tight them together with white cotton rope) in the small saucepan, use small fire till simmering and add in salt. Stir to combine and let it cool.
9. For serving, put water chestnut with syrup in a small bowl then add coconut milk just a little and put crashed ice or either few ice cubes. It's ready to serve!