Sunday, September 26, 2010
A little bit more healthier bread .... Milky Wholemeal Bread
I'm not sure that you guys will have the same feeling like me sometimes when you always consume too much sweet things or food which is not so healthy eg. fast food, fried food, etc. your mind will tell yourself to eat more healthier food. My husband is a big fan of fast food chains especially Mcdonalds. He can even eat these unhealthy burger and fries everyday but of course I will not let him do that to spoil his health. Though I am not such a person who really concern to eat all healthy food all the time but I always cook more vegetables in the meal and whatever I can substitute healthy ingredient when cooking or baking I will definitely do.
For baking bread, I always try to substitute some organic wholemeal flour instead of bread flour or plain flour. I know that it might not good enough to call that my bread is healthy bread coz it's just a little amount I substitute in but I feel better not to eat white plain bread likes commercial one. Basically when I make bread nowadays I always substitute some organic wholemeal flour in my favorite bread recipes such as HML, Cotton Soft Bread, etc. But this time I chose the original recipe which have wholemeal flour coz I wanted to compare how much difference from the previous versions I made my breads. In my opinion, there are not much difference in texture coz this recipe the bread also soft but more chewy than the recipe which has cake flour mixing into the ingredient. So if you prefer soft and light texture bread you can use HML recipe with substitution of wholemeal flour 30 g instead of bread flour in my previous HML recipe but if you like chewy and soft texture this recipe will not disappointed you.
Special thanks: Kitchen Corner's Blog and her Milky Square Loaf Recipe for giving me the inspiration
Milky Wholemeal Bread
Bread flour 270 g. (I used organic type)
Wholemeal flour 30 g.
Sugar 6 g.
Dry yeast 5 g.
Salt 4 g.
Whole milk (cold) 240 g.
Unsalted butter 12 g.
1. Mix all dry ingredients in the mixing bowl with electric mixer (dough hook) on low speed for 1 min.
2. Pour in cold milk when the electric mixer still on at low speed. Once it starts to form a dough then increase to medium speed and continue kneading for 5 mins and add in soft butter to the dough
3. Knead the dough till smooth and elastic (approximately 15-20 mins) and turn the dough out to the lightly floured surface to from round shape put into greased bowl then wrap with cling film to proof for 45 mins - an hour or until double in size
4. Punch down to release the air and roll out into rectangular shape then roll it up like swiss roll and put the dough in greased loaf pan then wrap with cling film. Proof the dough till become double in size
5. Brush the top with egg wash (1 beaten egg+1 tbsp water mix together) and bake in preheat oven at 190C for 20-25 mins