Tuesday, February 8, 2011
Chocolate & Raisin Buns with Chinese Style Custard Filling
I was so busy with baking during Chinese New Year especially last week due to lots of order for pineapple tarts and cookies :) really no time to update my blog even though I got a few things to share here. After Chinese New Year celebration gone...now it's time for me to activate my blog again and I would like to share these Chocolate & Raisin Buns with Chinese Style Custard Filling. I hope they will be an idea for people who like steamed custard buns to change their mind when the custard was filled in bread instead.
I chose to make the bread by using the basic bread dough and added chocolate paste together with raisins to the plain dough coz I felt that chocolate favor will go well with the custard filling. For the custard filling I suggest that you should make it earlier to get the firmed filling and easily to roll into a ball. It might take a little bit more time for making both filling and bread but I'm sure you will be pleased with the outcome of this nice buns.
Chinese Style Custard Filling
All purpose flour 1 Tbsp
Cornstarch 1 Tbsp
Milk powder 1 Tbsp
Custard powder 1 Tbsp
Unsalted butter 100 g.
Sugar 110 g. (if you prefer more sweeter custard, you can add sugar more)
Condensed milk 50 g.
Evaporated milk 50 g.
Vanilla 1/2 tsp
1. Shift all purpose flour, cornstarch, milk powder and custard powder together and set aside
2. Beat butter and sugar with hand whisk till just combined then add eggs, condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla. Stir to combine.
3. Add shifted flour to the butter mixture and stir till smooth.
4. Bring the mixture to steamed about 30 mins and open the cover to stir every 10 mins. Let it's cool down to room temperature and put into the freezer till get firmed filling and easy to roll into a ball.
Chocolate & Raisin Buns
Bread flour 150 g.
Cake flour 50 g.
Yeast 5 g.
Sugar 40 g.
Milk powder 13 g.
Salt 1 g.
Milk 120 g.
Unsalted butter 40 g.
Raisins 30 g.
1. Mix all dry ingredients in the mixing bowl with low speed then add in milk and knead till combine likes a dough.
2. Add butter, chocolate paste and raisins then keep kneading till get smooth and elastic dough. Wrap with cling film to let it rise for 1 hour.
3. Punch down to release the air and divide the dough into small portion about 20-30 g each and cover with tea towel for 10 mins.
4. Roll out the dough into flat disc shape and put the custard filling then shape into a ball.
5. Put the dough into muffin pan lined with paper case. Once you finish up rolling the dough, cover with tea towel or cling film and let the dough proof for 1 hour. Bake in preheat oven 175C about 12-15 mins