Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Chocolate Cake with Strawberry Mousse Filling
It took me sometimes to finish up this post since I made this Chocolate Cake with Strawberry Mousse Filling as my birthday cake. I gave surprise to all my friends when I told them that I made myself birthday cake rather than buying from bakery. For me, it was a great feeling to do what I love on my big day. I had plan to do this cake for a week and though of what kind of cake I would do. Finally I came out with the idea of my favorite soft chocolate chiffon cake with strawberry mousse filling, it worked perfectly :)
Just choose your favorite recipe for any kinds of cake as you like (I prefer chiffon cake when I want to do it as a mousse cake coz it won't loose the softness even you put it in the fridge) and this is strawberry mousse recipe filling for you.
Strawberry Mousse Filling (For 7 inches cake with two layers as per my photo)
Fresh strawberries 200 g.
Sugar 50 g.
Lemon juice 2 tsp. (Optional)
Gelatin powder 1 1/2 tsp. (mix in 1 Tbsp. of warm water and stir till dissolve)
Whipping cream 1 cup
1. Cut strawberries in small pieces, add in sugar and stir gently then set aside for 30 mins.
2. Put strawberries (which already in the bowl that suite for microwave) into microwave for 2 mins then take out to stir and add lemon juice. Put back to microwave for 2 mins.
3. Add in gelatin and stir to mix well. Put the mixer in microwave for 1 min. Transfer the mixer to another bowl and leave it cool to room temperature.
4. Blend the strawberries till smooth and set aside.
5. Beat the whipping cream till foam and fold in strawberries mixer. It's ready for use as filling.
6. Chill in the fridge for over night before serving.
Special thanks to Khun Wan Alittlecatz for being my inspiration of this strawberry mousse.