Tuesday, November 8, 2011
Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Milk Cream Frosting
Got a box of fresh strawberry so I was thinking to make strawberry cupcakes for this time. I noted this recipe for quite sometime back and it is Strawberry Cupcakes from Sprinkles Cupcakes in USA which you can find the recipe on www.marthastewart.com website.
Me and my hubby, we are strawberry lover and this recipe is great! though I did not make the frosting as in the original recipe coz personally I does not like the buttercream which using main butter and icing sugar. I rather went for my favorite buttercream recipe and mixed with strawberry puree to create my own frosting instead. I knew it's not a good idea for what I did coz I will never know how great of their cupcakes could be. For this matter, I suggest you to follow the original recipe for both cupcakes and frosting as below:
(Adapted from Sprinkles' Strawberry Cupcakes recipe on martha's website)
Yield 12 cupcakes
Whole fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed 2/3 cup *I used fresh strawberries
Sifted all-purpose flour 1 1/2 cups
Baking powder 1 tsp.
Salt 1/4 tsp.
Milk (room temperature) 1/4 cup
Vanilla extract 1 tsp.
Unsalted butter 1/2 cup (113 g.)
Sugar 1 cup
Egg (large) 1
Egg whites (large) 2
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
2. Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. You should have about 1/3 cup of puree, add a few more strawberries if necessary or save any extra puree for frosting; set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla, and strawberry puree; set aside.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
5. With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
6. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake at 175C until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.
Whole frozen strawberries 1/2 cup
Unsalted butter (firm & slightly cold) 1 cup
Pinch of coarse salt
Sifted confectioners' sugar 3 1/2 cups
Pure vanilla extract 1/2 tsp.
Place strawberries in the bowl of a small food processor; process until pureed. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce mixer speed and slowly add confectioners' sugar; beat until well combined. Add vanilla and 3 tablespoons strawberry puree (save any remaining strawberry puree for another use); mix until just blended. Do not overmix or frosting will incorporate too much air. Frosting consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice cream.