Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Young Coconut Muffins
Have you ever changed plan of doing something suddenly? It's just happened to me once I found out that I run out of coconut milk in my kitchen storage. Initially, I wanted to make coconut agar-agar (asian jelly) but end up to bake these coconut muffins.
These muffins are not like a typical coconut muffin recipes which you can find on the internet coz they do not use coconut flakes or dried coconut or shredded coconut but they use fresh young coconut meat to add the flavor and texture to the muffins. To get my version, I did some adjustment from the original recipe by using whipping cream mixed with coconut juice to make them even more coconut flavor, added a little bit more of baking powder, used chopped almond for topping, also I preferred to use salted butter for my muffins and here is my Young Coconut Muffins Recipe:
Young Coconut Muffins
Serving size 10 pcs.
Cake flour 180 g.
Baking powder 1/2+1/8 tsp.
Baking soda 1 tsp.
Salted butter 50 g.
Sugar 160 g. (add more sugar around 170-180 g. if you are a sweet tooth)
Eggs (small) 4 (1 egg = 50-53 g.)
Vanilla 1 tsp.
Whipping cream 30 g.
Coconut juice 30 g.
Lemon juice 1 1/2 tsp.
Young coconut meat (sliced or cut into pieces) 200g.
Chopped almond (toasted) for topping
1. Sift cake flour, baking powder and baking soda together then set aside.
2. Mix coconut juice and whipping cream till incorporate then add lemon juice. Stir well and let it stand for at least 5 mins.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar till light in color. Gradually add egg one at time and add in vanilla.
4. Divide the flour into 3 portions and add 1 portion into the batter alternatively with a half of whipping cream (flour>whipping cream>flour>whipping cream>flour). Stop the mixer.
5. Add in young coconut meat and fold till combine (Do not over mix). Divide the batter into the muffin liners equally and sprinkle with chopped almond on top.
6. Bake in the preheat oven 190C for 20-25 mins until you insert the toothpick and it comes out clean.
Special Thanks: Khun Bua (Tiny Bakery Bloggang.com) for sharing a delicious recipe and be my guideline of creating my own version of these perfect young coconut muffins.