Monday, June 27, 2011
Crispy crust, soft & chewy texture.... these are the definition of Folklevain Bread!
I was encouraged to make this special bread from one of my friend. She let me try her Folklevain Bread together of giving me some of her starter dough to make it myself. This was help me a lot to cut of my time of making wild yeast and starter dough :) If you are bread lover and do not mind experiment of new method of making bread, please try this recipe.... you will get a good rustic bread out from your oven.
1) Making wild yeast
Mix dried fruits 125 g., honey 50 g., sugar 25 g., warm water 250 g. Mix all the ingredients in a clean glass bottle with cab and place in warm place. It will take about 4-5 days to build up the natural yeast (appear like a bubble floating inside the bottle) and you have to shake the bottle everyday. After day 5, pour out the water (wild yeast) put in the clean bottle. It can be stored in the fridge for 3 months.
2) Starter dough (Levain)
Bread flour 30 g., wild yeast 20 g., warm water 10 g. Mix in a small bowl and wrap with cling film and place in warm place overnight. Next morning mix in bread flour 30 g., warm water 25 g using spatula or wooden spoon to mix and wrap with cling film. Place the starter in warm place till night then mix in bread flour 525 g., warm water 350 g. and put the dough in plastic container with lid. This state will take 8-12 hours. The leftover starter can be stored in fridge for 1 week.
3) Folklevain Bread
Levain (starter) 600 g.
Bread flour 600 g.
Warm water 375-400 g.
Salt 25 g. (I reduce salt amount to 20 g.)
1. Mix all together with mixer at low speed about 5 mins. and stop for 5 mins Add salt start mixing the dough with high speed for 8-10 mins to get smooth and elastic dough
2. Put the dough in the bowl fill with oil (the oil level should be enough to cover the dough) wrap with cling film and set aside for 4-6 hours. After the first hour, fold the dough 3 times then set aside for 30 mins and fold the dough 3 times. Another 30 mins, fold the dough 3 more times and set aside for 2 hours.
3. Divide the dough in 2 portions evenly and shape to form the bread. Put on the baking tray and sprinkle some flour. Proof the dough for 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven at 250C and put another tray with iced water into the oven to bake the Folklevain Bread for 15 mins. then adjust the temperature to 200C till it's done. Approximatly total time 20-25 mins
Special Thanks: P'Mon & Khun Ya for your support and sharing good recipe.
Wednesday, June 8, 2011
As you notice, there are many banana cake & muffin recipes in my blog & I will never get bored of trying more recipes. This is another one super easy banana muffin recipe which I always bake when I cannot think of what to bake. Besides of easy method, taste and muffin texture is super soft like cake type. After a few time of modification the original recipe, this is my version which I love it!
Quick & Easy Banana Muffins
All purpose flour 90 g.
Cake flour 90 g.
Baking powder 1/2 tsp.
Baking soda 3/4 tsp.
Salt 1/2 tsp.
Sugar 180 g. (for sweet tooth you can probably add more sugar 190-200 g.)
Vanilla 1 tsp.
Canola oil 170 g.
Milk 100 g.
Mashed banana 200 g.
1. Sift 2 types of flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt and mix in sugar with wire whisk
2. For wet ingredient, mix eggs, canola oil, vanilla, milk together and add mashed banana into the wet ingredient then mix well.
3. Make a well in the middle of dry ingredient bowl then pour the wet ingredient to mix well by wire whisk. Do not over mix!
4. Divide the batter in muffin tray which lines with muffin liners 3/4 full
5. Bake in preheat oven 200C for 15-18 mins
Special Thanks: Khun Dear from bloggang.com for being my inspiration